Friday, January 8, 2010

The price of oil going up...Great!?

I youse the bicycle to get to my work but i cant understand why a lot more people can't do the same, I can understand that some people need a car just to get to work if they stay more than 5miles or disabled, but there is these people that stay in my town that lives only 1mile to 2miles from where they work and they still take the car also we are not using oil wisely like we are burning it up like there is no tomorrow, what is trapped underneath the earth is supposed to last us for hundreds maybe a thousand years. So what do you think should more people get on there bike?The price of oil going up...Great!?
I actually agree that it's good. It doesn't affect me much, because I either bike or ride an electric moped to work (13 miles), and when I do drive, it's in a Prius. If gas prices go up $1/gallon, it only costs me about an extra $20/month. Not the end of the world.





However, it does encourage people to drive more fuel efficient cars. In the past month I've seen a RAV4 EV, natural gas Civic, Vectrix electric motorcycle, lots of bikes, and several mopeds driving around. Plus many more Priuses and other hybrids than I used to see.





http://greenhome.huddler.com/forum/threa鈥?/a>





This is great. We've driven inefficient cars in the US for far too long because gas has been ridiculously cheap. Even now our gas is still only about half what it costs in most European countries! It's high time that Americans stopped being so wasteful and inefficient in our transportation and caught up with the rest of the developed world. If you don't like it, then sell your SUV and buy a smaller car. Start riding a bike or moped or take public transportation. Adapt. While high gas prices are inconvenient in the short-term, we'll benefit in the long-term.The price of oil going up...Great!?
I like the comment about how oil affects everything. It is very true. Then comment about our government doing more to combat this simply made me laugh. C'mon our government doing something useful? Our government is controlled through these oil companies. It benefits them to keep the prices high. The reason we arent seeing lost cost electric hybrids are because the oil companies have suppressed it. They make billions possibly trillions on oil. What is it for them to toss a little bit of that aside to buy a patent so no one can use it? Look at the Chevy Volt. The reason we wont be seeing it in the near future is because the battery technology isnt around. The inventor says differently. It is ready to go and we wont see it.
I do kinda agree. Although I am finding it expensive, I have actually cut down the amount I use my car. It's not to bad for me because I drive a small car with a small engine. I have used my bike a bit more and I am thinking to use it more often for short journeys. I have been thinking about getting my car or the next car I own converted to LPG or Vegetable oil. I think we need to start looking at alternative fuels.
I think ppl should invent something that one person rides a bike and petals then there is a seat or somethin for disabled ppl to sit in. It would be better for the enviornment and would mae the prices of oil go down in price. Also, ppl should invent a motor for bikes and scooters. That way, when ppl ride on bikes, they could go extra faster and it wouldn't case pollution. Good idea right?
Riiiight. Listen, my wife goes to work at 2:30 in the morning. It would be unsafe and irresponsible for me to allow her to bicycle to work through this neighborhood! Not to mention that she'd need a shower when she got there. Bicycles are great for some things. But they're no replacement for a car. The real answer is to convert to ethanol, biodiesel, or electric cars. We don't need Big Oil and we need to let them know that!
I agree totally with you on this, i pretty much walk everywhere local or take the bus if its pouring with rain..


i think that the car sharing clubs within buisinesses are a step in the right direction, and fuel costs can be shared too..but like you say,take an alternative mode of transport like the bicycle,its cheap,you get there, and you can only make yourself late for that important meeting!!
It just shows what a pillock you are, every time the cost of diesel goes up virtually every commodity we buy including food goes up, which is great if you own an oil well, but for those who are struggling to make ends meet it can mean reducing what they eat or the amount of heat they need to keep warm. Just remember the are large parts of the country with none or very little public transport they have to use a vehicle , so think before openning your mouth
Wow. Mixed emotions. I can drive to work in 45 minutes. I cannot afford a bicycle that can go 22 miles to work reliably. I am going to take a bus for 2 hours to get to work. But I am only doing it because I believe that these high prices are a technical bubble, and that at the first sign of real conservation the bubble will burst.





On the other hand, it is necessary to have lasting conservation to combat global warming. I need to find a way to get my consumption down even after the bubble bursts.
I dare you to rant that stuff in an economically depressed city in the Northeast or Heartland... You'll get yourself killed.





Oil is best left cheap.


But it's true that more people should bike to work or use mass transit if it's feasible.
your right although i hate to admit it. only one thing will change our attitude to oil usage - economic pressure.





Short term pain for long term survival. its a no brainer really
yea there dum your smart
Its not an issue of personal choice, it effects everyone and everything. You might go on your bike but how did you get your bike? Oil got it to you. If you have a cat its food will be more expensive to produce and deliver. EVERYTHING uses oil either to deliver or in some form to make whether its from oil powered electric stations to medicines. Even Oxfam wont be able to deliver as much stock to the third world because its spending more on fuel. I do 60000 miles a year in my work, cant do that on a bike but fuel gone up 30 odd percent in a matter of months. Itll be the same for suppliers so the products, services will have to cost more. We are all going to struggle if something isnt done soon, the least would be massive redundancies.
I agree with the first person. You tree huggers make me sick. I dare you to walk into a low/mid-class neighborhood who are being effected most by these oil prices and you'd be shot.





The government needs to be figuring out this problem, don't we pay taxes for a reason?





When oil prices go up everything goes up, and what about us middle class workers who have no choice but to travel 20 plus miles to work everyday so we can feed our kids!? Shove your electric scooter up your ***.





Us construction workers, electricians, carptenters, we have no choice but to drive long distances to work, and drive work vans so we can transport our tools. Maybe the next time your power goes out you should just sit in the dark so you don't pollute the Earth when someone has to drive a van out to your place to fix it.





Until a better, safer, cleaner source of energy can be used jacking oil prices up isn't doing anything except making an already hard life, even harder for lower to middle class.





I'd like to see you transport enough tools to make a service call on your bike you f*** face.
  • recipes cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment