Friday, January 8, 2010

Why is the price of oil/fuel/petrol dropping?

Please excuse my ignorance here. I have searched google and found nothing that explains this clearly.


Why, when the economy is in such an awful state and recession is looming, are we finally having a little relief when it comes to the petrol pumps? Why does a national and global economic downturn cause a drop rather than an increase in the price of oil? Is it that countries just can't afford to haggle with the oil-rich countries as they used to, and if that's the case, why didn't they push for a better price in the first place. As I said, I'm sure I'm just very ignorant, so please enlighten me!Why is the price of oil/fuel/petrol dropping?
Supply and demand. If the demand falls 10 percent because of our economic troubles, the price drops more than 10 percent because there are some oil producing economies that have to produce a lot of oil. Iran, I believe, gets 40% of its entire economy (GDP) from oil revenues. If they can't sell oil, there is civil unrest. Why is the price of oil/fuel/petrol dropping?
economy is going down and people are trying to save money by not buying/using so much oil or fuel. Economy is going down also because the war is around the oil companys. A lot of reasons why though..

No comments:

Post a Comment